Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Blogging Craft Question for Bloggers & Readers

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my question about blogger eating my posts. I really appreciate your advice and suggestions. Plus, it has just plain warmed my heart to see comments on the blog.

Which brings me to my question: how do you get people to comment on your blog?

Blogging in the dark is lonely, and not that productive. I would far rather get conversations going than just post random things in a one-to-many format. Many-to-many is where it's at.

I notice that there are few comments on many of my favorite blogs, with the notable exception being BOP news. I read through my blog roll regularly, and I'll be more dilligent in commenting because you are all doing fabulous work and I'd like to know that.

I actually have lots of questions.

When do you comment? When don't you? Is there a pattern? What makes you more likely to comment?

What kinds of posts/ wording / strategies elicit the most comments on your blog?

Is anyone not getting comments that would like some? (Let me know and I'll write you comments.)

Is there a definitive answer to this?--is it a critical mass question about site traffic or building up a community of people who perceive a virtual relationship?

I am curious both from a theoretical and pragmatic standpoint.

Sidebar: The spectacular Canadian comedienne Sandra Shamas used to do a routine about getting into her thirties or forties and the visible signs of aging, and she'd say, "And then, you know, one day you notice that one really dark hair beside your nipple," and the audience would go DEAD silent; and then she'd make a coment along the lines of "don't leave me out here to dry, don't pretend I'm the only one," and *then* everyone would laugh. (I love the subversive power of comedy.)

Don't tell me I'm the only one who would like comments. Don't make me the only one who admits to the dreaded hair. I know you're out there. :)
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home