Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The Female Loop

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Des Femmes, newly launched, is doing a great job of exploring the gender politics of language in progressive blogs.

As part of a multi-post, multi-blog discussion (here, here, here and here) about women bloggers and getting women more involved in political blogging, Des Femmes brought up the concept of "the female loop"--by which I understand her to mean female-authored blogs with a high female-readership. (Des Femmes, please correct me if I'm mistaken here.)

What a great concept.

On one hand, I really make a conscious effort to diversify my reading (on- and off-line) including making sure I read other women. I've found some outstanding women bloggers that I've blog-rolled, including:
BlogAmy
Body & Soul
Cathie from Canada
Suw Charman's Chocolate & Vodka
Martha Bridegam's DemiSemiBlog
Echidne of the Snakes
Iddybud
Respectful of Otters
Shameless Agitator (PS Thanks to Andrea for the Ulrich quote)
Sinister Girls
Trish Wilson's Blog
XX
and the newest addition, Des Femmes,
not to overlook the female voices on multi-author blogs like Abby Vigneron, Ellen Dana Nagler, Kathy Paur, Marcy Wheeler, and Zephyr Teachout on BOP;
Simone and the other girls of C101;
Leah of Corrente;
and the fabulous Amy Sullivan of Washington Monthly.

(My heartfelt apologies for any omissions or gender misassignments! Just let me know and I'll set things to rights.)

On the other hand, most of what I read in politics is still authored by men. Hmmmm.

What is the female loop?
If there is a female loop, why not deliberately and strategically cultivate it as a girl's blogger network to help each other out. I want to do my part to support other women in the progressive political blogosphere. Please let me know who else is blogging and I'll highlight them here and add them to my blogroll. Surely my puny list above is NOT indicative of our footprint. Let me know!

What are the missing pieces?
For other women bloggers (or would-be bloggers), what obstacles do you face or perceive, if any, for "getting into" the political blog world? What kind of help/support would you like and what have you already received? How are you helping other bloggers?

Gentlemen, if you have experienced your own hurdles to getting into political blogging, or your own mentoring experiences, please share your insights.

I don't want to celebrate the problems (to borrow a phrase from Steve Ybarra), but I think together we can come up with some creative solutions.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home