Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Watching Shooting Stars


I drove into Boston at the spur of the moment to see Kerry and his concession speech. I saw him, Edwards, Teresa, Kerry's daughters, Ted Kennedy, James Carville and Lockhart. This was the first time that I have seen any of them, ever. The crowd was enthusiastic and supportive. The whole experience was just a little bit sad.

The event had some extra meaning for me because Kerry gave his speech in the same historical building/room in which my wife, along with 200+ other immigrants, was sworn in as a Naturalized American Citizen a year or so ago after 16 years of us being together. That day was a beautiful day that filled me with pride for my wife, for all of the other immigrants there raising their hands and for our country, kind and noble in its embrace of foreign guests. The judge who presided over the ceremony that day said to the new citizens that they were as of that moment "No more or no less a citizen than any other American." It was a beautiful thought.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home