Sunday, May 08, 2005

Don't hate me because I can fly

Via Leimodnu at Reason and Radical, I just viewed a clip of interviews with the new Superman movie FX team on FX innovations for making people fly.

I've done it.

Ayup.

I can fly.

Back in 2003, just before we moved to Virgina, the husband and I went up to Banff for the Paddy Crean International Stage Combat Workshop--a solid week of 9 am to 10 pm, backbreaking, gut-wrenching stage combat classes with some of the top names in the industry.

The lineup included a wirework class taught by Tim Drnec of FX West, with one session co-taught by Eric and Debbie Chen of the National Wushu Training Center. (You may not recognize their names, but you've seen Tim's spydercam work in Spiderman and Stuart Little, and you've seen Eric as Jet Li's stunt double in The One.)

Tim rigged us up in harnesses and taught us to...fly. It was amazing. Like a cross between twisting up on the chains in your swing set and then flinging yourself loose, and dreams about flying.

And in the session with Eric and Debbie, I got to fly through the air, kicking and punching at Debbie, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon-style.

The hands-down best part of the week were the teachers across the board--a spectacularly generous, down-to-earth, lethal group of people. But a very close second was learning to fly.

If you EVER get the chance to do a wire work class, jump on it. I'm not kidding. (And if you ever get the chance to attend Paddy Crean, go--but make sure you're in good shape first. It just about killed me.)

Flying with Tim and Eric and Debbie was one of the most amazing things I've ever done in my life. And I've had a few adventures. :)
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home