Sunday, September 25, 2005

What's wrong with this (moving) picture?

Disclaimer: it is 3:00 a.m., so this definitely qualifies as insomnia blogging. The following news article is creeping me out, but I am not wide awake enough to articulate why. I'm hoping you'll take a stab at it, while I do my best to sleep on it.
Hollywood Marketing Films Through Churches

(...)The Walt Disney Co. is marketing "The Greatest Game Ever Played" to faith-based groups even though the film, about Francis Ouimet's improbable win in the 1913 U.S. Open, isn't overtly religious.

(...)Other major studios have undertaken similar marketing for films that aren't about God, including the recent father-son story "The Thing About My Folks" and even the dark drama "The Exorcism of Emily Rose."

(...)Twentieth Century Fox, which distributed the video of "The Passion," recently launched a Web site http://www.foxfaith.com to target Christian and family-based films directly to a religious audience.

The site includes a "church resources" link, which lists several movies and includes written guidance suggesting Bible verses to discuss in conjunction with scenes from the films.

Great. Now, if I get to sleep at all, I'm going to have nightmares about Mickey Mouse and the Pope holding hands and singing advertising jingles.

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home