Friday, November 11, 2005

Rather than let the day pass without comment

Many things I wanted to write today, but my sleep cycle is severely disrupted, and while my spirits are good, my brain is too foggy to handle much in the way of writing. (That's why I'm behind on email, too, and responding to comments here; my apologies.) Most of all I just wanted to say that today is one of the days of the year that I feel the most alien in the US, and the most homesick for Canada.

In Flanders Fields
by Colonel John McRae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

I know Colonel John McRae's poem off by heart. I suspect many Canadians do, from year after year of exposure to it through the school system. I happened to learn it early: my first-ever voiceover gig was about the age of 9, when I read the poem for a Remembrance Day broadcast on the local tv station. After multiple takes to get the timing right down to the second, the poem was engraved on my brain. Thus, the poem also evokes fond memories for me of CHBC-TV in Kelowna, which played a huge role in my childhood.

Yes, I'm definitely very homesick today.

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home