Monday, November 28, 2005

Rest in Peace, Oldman

I found out this afternoon that Oldman, one of the regular contributors at BOP News, passed away last week.

Despite his name, he was young--younger than me, I think. He died after a short illness over the holidays. As far as I know, his death has come as an unexpected shock to everyone.

Oldman and I got off to a rough start, with a few voluable spats, actually. From there, we developed a respect for each other that ultimately grew into a friendship.

It really is one of the miracles of our age that one can make friends through the Internet with people on has never "met." I didn't ever have the pleasure of meeting Oldman in person, although we have corresponded by email on occasion and we've spoken on the phone once or twice. Although we really only knew each other online, and through the BOP community, I am absolutely jolted by his death, to an extent I am at a loss to express.

Oldman was one of the core economic writers that form the backbone of BOP News. He was greatly respected for the quality of his thought and his writing. He was a pleasure to know and to write with.

If you weren't acquainted with him, I encourage you to read his writings on BOP, as well as on his own site, Oldman's 1787 Blog.

Stirling Newberry put up a public post about Oldman's death on BOP, which I believe Oldman's family is reading. If you would like to leave your condolences for them, you can find the thread here. (Stirling has also added a more formal obituary here.)

I will miss Oldman as a colleague and as a friend. My heart goes out to his family, friends, and readers.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home