Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Green Knight

Just a quick post today...

I have just finished reading, or more accurately put, devouring, Iris Murdoch's Green Knight.

What can I say without spoiling it for those who haven't read it? The pivotal "Act 2" dinner party scene is fabulous, in the true sense of the word. I would love to stage it as a one act play, possibly for a theatre festival, although I don't know if it would be possible to do justice to the complex relationships and motives and entanglements without all the background information. The "revelation" of Humphrey Hook at the end is equally marvelous, verging on impish.

Best of all, I'd love to see the people who translate Kazuo Ishiguro's novels to film have a go at some of Murdoch's work.

Does anyone else here read Murdoch? I have only just started reading her, and I feel like I am making up for lost time.

To read her, I can only wonder at the rich interior life she must have/must have had. (You may be aware that she now has Alzheimer's.)

I love the very craft of her writing--the same way I love it in P.D. James, Aldous Huxley, or Graham Greene.

I shall gobble up her body of work fairly quickly--I can go through a novel in a day. What other authors would readers of Murdoch recommend?
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home