Sunday, March 12, 2006

Where to Stay in Charlotte, NC?

The huz and I are talking about taking a long weekend to go see Great Big Sea play Charlotte, North Carolina in April.


If you don't know Great Big Sea, you're missing out.  I first heard them live in a small club in Kelowna, BC around 1996.  A friend I met on a production of The Wiz lived in a house full of expat Nova Scotians, and they'd all spent their college years listening to GBS play local pubs on regional maritime tours.  GBS put on an incredible, high-energy show; everyone danced so hard that the speakers *bounced* up and down (beware dancing maritimers, I tell you); and my friend's cute roommate paid for my ticket, now that I think of it.  I've been a huge fan of GBS's Newfoundland-flavoured celtic rock ever since.  (True confessions:  back in my single days, I wouldn't have minded if any of them had followed me home, either.  But, before Alexander asks, they didn't.  On the other hand, I didn't fare so badly with the friend's cute roommate.) I narrowly missed a chance to see them play in Dallas a few years back--I didn't think my recently sprained ankle would survive a packed nightclub, let alone manic dancing--so my fingers are crossed that we can put a weekend together for their Charlotte show.


If you don't know their music, Great Big Sea is now podcasting - check it out. 


So, my question for you is, can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Charlotte?  We're partial to Bed & Breakfasts, and independent (i.e., non-chain) places to stay. 


And speaking of vacations! Great Big Sea is holding a contest to promote their current tour, with a grand prize of a trip for 2 to Newfoundland and Labrador.  I've been to the other nine provinces, but I haven't been to any of the territories or to the Rock yet, so my fingers are crossed. But go ahead and enter--if I don't win, I'd love to see the trip go to one of you.


Tags: , , , ,


Powered by Qumana


|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home