How do Recounts Work in Virginia?
1. There's a strong likelihood Virginia's Webb v Allen senate race will qualify for a recount.
2. VA has no automatic recounts.
- Only losing candidate can ask for a recount, and only if margin is 1% or less of votes cast for those two candidates.
- If margin is .5% or less, OR, and/or if candidate who requests recount wins, the counties and cities involved in the recount pay the costs.
- Otherwise, the candidate who requested the recount has to pay the costs
As I write this, there are only 20 precincts outstanding (plus absentee ballots), and the margin is currently .08%.
Recounts are expensive -- and the less obvious costs include maintaining a campaign's legal/admin/communication/volunteer-coordination teams for weeks after election day.
What can you do?
- Go make a donation to the Webb campaign to help them keep fighting.
- We'll keep our ears to the ground (and I'll put out some calls in the morning) about recount-related volunteer opportunities here in Virginia, and we'll keep you posted.
Want to know more?